Each homeschool family has a different journey, from start to finish.
If you're contemplating homeschooling, however, these questions will get you thinking sensibly about the road ahead.
Answers will vary, of course, and if you get to feeling "stuck" feel free to come ask the question via a message to the How to Work and Homeschool Facebook page.
- What are your motives for homeschooling?
- What are the state and local rules about homeschooling where you live?
- If partnered or co-parenting, are you both on-board with it?
- Do you see homeschooling as a short- or long-term endeavor?
- Will you homeschool by semester, academic or annual calendar?
- When will you take breaks (fall, winter holidays, spring, and/or summer)?
- Do you understand your child's strengths and weaknesses?
- Have you researched homeschool approaches?
- Do you know which approaches will work best for your child? For you?
- Are you willing to modify how you teach to fit your child's needs?
- Do you have a budget for homeschooling?
- Have you researched curriculum options with your budget in mind?
- What might a typical homeschool day look like for your family?
- If you have small children, how will you keep them occupied while teaching older kids?
- When might you need childcare to work or tend to another family member?
- If you plan to use a co-op, are you comfortable with their rules and regulations?
- How will you evaluate your homeschool progress?
- Are you prepared to teach your own with patience and compassion?
- What are your academic and emotional strengths and weaknesses?
- How will homeschooling affect your own personal goals and ambitions?
- Are you prepared to sequence home education to put your children's needs first and, if needed, delay some personal and professional gratification?
- Do you have emotional support from friends and family?
- If you don't have support, can you find it locally or online?
- How will you know that you've found your homeschool groove?
- What do you want to look back and say about your homeschooling years?